Dental Implants: A Solution for Missing Teeth
A dental implant is a titanium post surgically implanted in the jaw to act as a tooth root. It can hold in place a replacement tooth, or it can anchor a bridge or a partial denture. Dr. Thomas Vutech provides dental implant care from start to finish at our North Kingstown dental office.
Dr. Vutech may recommend a dental implant to replace a missing tooth for several reasons:
- Dental implants will look like your own teeth. You'll have your old smile back again!
- If a missing tooth has affected your speech, this replacement tooth will help you regain your ability to pronounce sounds correctly.
- A dental implant does not rely on adjacent teeth for support, as a bridge does, so surrounding teeth won't need to be altered or capped.
- An implant can prevent bone loss.
- The dental implant will feel like your own tooth. No worries about wobbly dentures.
The Dental Implant Process
There are two phases to installing a dental implant. The first is the surgical phase where it is surgically implanted into the jawbone. It can take a few months for the implant to become incorporated into the bone, after which time it will be firm and stable.
The second step is to create and attach the dental appliance that will affix to the dental implant. This may be a replacement tooth, a crown, a bridge or a partial denture.
Is a Dental Implant Right for You?
A dental implant is not right for everyone. There must be adequate bone in your jaw to support the implant. Also, your gum tissue must be healthy. If you lost your tooth to periodontal disease, then the dentist may recommend bridgework instead.
Understand your options when it comes to replacing a missing tooth. Call 401-294-3533 to make an appointment with Dr. Vutech.